The parents of a baby who had hospital treatment say he became ill after being fed formula milk from batches which have been recalled by its maker.
A doctor told the family the nine-month old’s sickness may have been connected to the milk, but could have been a bug. Lennie, of Solihull, is one of two children the UK Food Standards Agency (FSA) is aware of after a recall of specific Nutramigen batches.
Manufacturer Reckitt said there was no medical evidence of contamination. The company recalled batches of two of its products last month – Nutramigen stage 1 and stage 2 hypoallergenic formula powders – over the possible presence of a bacteria which can cause fever and diarrhoea. The milk feed is often given to babies with a cow’s milk protein allergy.
When they checked, they discovered they had fed their baby a second batch of the formula that had been recalled. In a letter to Reckitt, the father wrote: “My wife was inconsolable…. having checked our supplies we now calculated that Lennie had consumed in total 24 tubs of the two batches, God only knows how many more in the past that we had disposed of.”
The UK recall followed one in the US on 30 December by the US Food and Drug Administration of several different batches from the same manufacturing period.